Monday 26 July 2010

Fucking Idiots and Flourescent Bags

A quick question before I start. Cyclists riding on the pavement? Acceptable or not? I ask both as a cyclist and pedestrian and with a certain weight of expectation that you'll side with me.

To my mind, it's only ever allowable when the path is also a cycle track, other than that I use the road for that is what it is there for. Imagine my surprise this morning when a cyclist nearly parked his front tyre twixt my cheeks and proceeded to ride off, muttering about a 'fucking idiot'. Who was this 'fucking idiot'? Was it the council for leaving gigantic potholes in the road? It seemed an odd moment for an outburst about an ongoing issue. A car or truck who had forced the poor cyclist onto the pavement? None were in evidence. Was it perhaps the member of Halfords finest who blutacked the bike together, thus causing steering issues resulting in this chap's transitory pavement ways? No. Of course it was me. A pedestrian, walking down a public footpath wide enough only for maybe 1.73* people, and taking up exactly my allotment of space and no more. Yet this 2 wheeled warrior felt aggrieved that I should be there and 'in his way', despite the ample, empty roadspace to his right.

Am I being harsh? Should I be forcing innocent 20 year olds to ride on the appropriate surface and highway? He wasn't wearing a helmet, he could die out there, oh god the guilt, what of his mother? I mean, I ride on the road but I have a helmet to protect my delicate bonce and a lovely flourescent bag to help drivers notice me. This poor wastrel could obviously afford none of these luxuries, unless he was ordering them on his iPhone as he cycled away. He was paying an awful lot of attention to his phone, that must have been it. Perhaps I am the fucking idiot? But I suspect not.

I have commuted by cycle for 2 years now and through taking sensible precautions and having an understanding of the rules of the road, both written and unofficial, have stayed safe throughout. It's not complicated, if there's a cycle path, use it. If not, get on the road where you belong.

Next week, probably, Cyclists and traffic lights. Grrrr...

*Results may vary according to the size of your ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment